My efficiency was rather low on this batch, and I will chalk it up to a abnormally coarse crush on the mill at my LHBS. Usually they are pretty good about staying on top of this, and I've never had an issue before, so I am guessing this is a fluke. While looking at the milled grains, I remember thinking, "Hmm, this looks kinda coarse." That's what I get for not listening to my gut. In any case, it has spurred me to look into getting a grain mill so that I have a little more control and consistency. Additionally, the low efficiency resulted in a lower-than-calculated starting gravity, so I changed the recipe title from "IPA" to "Session IPA".
Vaalbara Session IPA
- 10 lbs. 2 row malt (2.0 SRM)
- 1.5 lbs biscuit malt
- 1 lbs. 20° crystal malt
- 0.75 oz. Chinook hops pellets (bittering, first addition; 13.00% alpha, 3.4% beta)
- 1 oz. Cascade hops pellets (bittering, second addition; 7.3% alpha, 5.3% beta)
- 1.5 oz. Cascade hops pellets (dry-hopping; 7.3% alpha, 5.3% beta)
- 1 tsp. Irish moss
- 1 pkg. Safale US-05 dry yeast (11 g)
- I mashed in with 4 gallons of water at 164°. The mash was too low in temperature [note to self: continue to adjust properties for equipment in BeerSmith], so I added 2 quarts of boiling water, which when stirred in brought the mash up to 154° (stable still after 30 minutes).
- I drained the mash tun, and added 3.25 gallons of water at 186 degrees. This stabilized the mash at 166°.
- In total, I collected ~6.25 gallons of wort, with a starting gravity estimated at 1.037. This calculates out to 52% efficiency; probably so low due to a coarse crush.
- I boiled the wort down for 30 minutes at a vigorous boil, to bump up the gravity a touch. By the end of this phase, I had approximately 5.5 gallons.
- After 30 minutes, I added the Chinook hops (which thus had a total of 60 minutes boiling).
- After another 30 minutes, I added 1 oz. of Cascade hops (which thus had a total of 30 minutes boiling). At this point, I had approximately 5.1 gallons.
- After another 15 minutes, I added 1 tsp. of Irish moss (which thus had a total of 15 minutes boiling). I was down to ~4.6 gallons by this point.
- After a total of 90 minutes of boiling, I turned off the heat and cooled the wort down to around 82° with my wort chiller.
- I ended up with 4 gallons of wort in the primary fermenter. I pitched the yeast, and sealed up the whole thing. I will be fermenting at 66°.
- I brewed the beer on Saturday, August 23. By the next morning, the fermenter was happily percolating along.
- Starting gravity is 1.045 at 60°. This should work out to around 4.6% abv.