Thursday, December 4, 2014

Beer Tasting: Bonedigger Brown Ale

My Bonedigger Brown Ale has turned into an absolutely delicious beer. Brown ales have a reputation as being fairly easy to brew, and I would agree overall. I am quite pleased that this has matured into one of my best all-grain beers yet (in my opinion).

  • I brewed this on 27 September 2014, bottled/kegged it on 11 October 2014, and sampled it on 3 December 2014. The sample described here was from a keg.
  • Basics
    • Starting gravity: 1.057; final gravity: 1.014; 5.7% abv
  • Aroma
    • Lightly malty; no hops detectable
  • Appearance
    • Head has good retention, fine to moderate tannish color. The beer itself is dark brown, with good clarity
  • Flavor
    • Flavor is pleasantly malty, with a slight chocolate/cocoa hint and finish; smooth and drinkable; hops are well-balanced with malt, not overly bitter.
  • Mouthfeel
    • Mouthfeel is smooth and almost creamy; body is nice--not overly thin but not overly thick, best described as medium; pretty balanced body overall; moderately carbonated as appropriate for style.
  • Would I brew this again?
    • As brown ales go, I would drink this again and brew it again in an instant! A really nice brew. I'll take this to my homebrew club meeting for their feedback, but at the moment I can't foresee changing much.
  • Overall rating
    • 9.5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment