At any rate, I decided to make another batch of this, with just a few minor tweaks (primarily related to the ingredients I had on hand). Except as outlined below, everything is the same as before. So, I'll only list the changes.
Differences From the Last Batch
- More by accident than anything, I ended up steeping the grains at a slightly higher temperature (~170°) for the steeping phase.
- I used 3 oz. of whole Cascade hops for the bittering (instead of a combo of whole hops and pellets added at various points during the boiling), boiled for the entire 60 minutes.
- I added 1 tsp. of Irish moss at the 45 minute mark (done before, but not explicitly noted on the recipe).
- I added 1 oz. of whole Sterling hops 57 minutes into the boil, and boiled these for 3 minutes, for aroma (instead of 1 oz. of Cascade pellets for 5 minutes).
- After cooling with the cooling coil and topping up to 4.5 gallons, the starting gravity was 1.060 (on 1 January 2011). This contrasts with a starting gravity of 1.056 for the last batch.
- I pitched the yeast, and it has been fermenting at 68°-72° degrees for the past few days.