My first batch of Fake Tire Amber Ale is amazing. In my (non-humble) opinion, it's probably one of the best recipes I've done yet. A genuinely biscuit-ish flavor (just like Fat Tire!), clear appearance, and nice head combine deliciously. The downside of this is that I have finished most of the batch. Watching my dwindling supply, I decided to take action and brew up another batch today. I made some small changes, largely on account of what was available for ingredients.
Changes from first batch
Nothing major - instead of whole hops, I used hops pellets. This presumably has the effect of upping the hops utilization a little bit, but according to BeerSmith it's not a major amount. 21.9 IBU's versus 24.1 IBU's for the whole and pellet hops, respectively. Given the margin of error in IBU measurements for hops, as well as the margin of error inherent to home brewing, I decided not to mess with the recipe.
The only other major variation was that I topped up to just a hair under 5 gallons, with a starting gravity of 1.050. I presume the larger amount of water was needed to get close to last time's gravity (1.051) because I decanted a little more of my wort into the brewing bucket than I did previously.
In any case, I will be curious to see how this one turns out!